Monday, January 6, 2014

Yearly Recap: 2013

Better late than never. Ever year, I like to recap event with this little survey. Check out past posts from 20102011 and 2012.

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house, spoke at the Milwaukee Listen to your Mother and ran a half marathon.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Last year, I didn't make any resolutions and it felt freeing. I'd like to put some pen to paper - or text to...blog and get some goals nailed down this year. I tend to be a procrastinator (hence, an annual recap a week late) and want a few more days to put this off think about this.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, two of my closest college girlfriends. I can't wait to meet them both soon!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no. Many of my close friends lost loved ones this year. It was tough to watch them grieve but through their experiences, I've learned a lot about gratitude and living life to the fullest.

5. What countries did you visit?
Last year I wrote: Nada. I may have to adjust this question to “counties vs. countries” because there aren't any international trips in our near future. 

And, that still rings true today. In typical Atkinson nature, we had plenty of camping adventures. We also spent a lot of time exploring our new neighborhood.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Lazy weekends at home!

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 15 - Started my new job (where I come to work happy each day!)
June 1 - Moved into our new home!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
Here's what I wrote last year: Running. I wouldn't call myself a runner by any stretch but, I can run. I can run several miles at a time and more importantly, I love the way it makes me feel. I feel strong and clear-headed after (almost) every run.

I'm really happy that I still can call myself a runner. After completing my first half marathon in November I felt like a complete rock star. I'm now addicted to the rush of trusting a training schedule and crossing the finish line.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Changing jobs in April. In hindsight, I was miserable at my job but I felt guilty at the time. Guilty about "giving up" after six months. Now, working at a company I love, I'm happy that I left and feelings of failure are gone.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our first home and a few weeks later, patio furniture. There's nothing like relaxing in your own backyard with a icy cold cocktail.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and daycare.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Speaking in front of other mothers, buying and decorating (slowly, slowly decorating) our home.

14. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Blurred Lines - cabin weekend with girlfriends and anything on Songza Drop a Beat playlist - my running go-to!

15. Compared to this time last year, are you: 

  • Happier or sadder? Happier.
  • Thinner or fatter? Same.
  • Richer or poorer? Richer.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

  • Listened. 
  • Relaxed. 
  • Crafted. 
  • Read. 
  • Laughed. 
  • Ran. 
  • Practiced yoga.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? 

  • Complained. 
  • Online shopped. 
  • Planned. 
  • Wasted time on my iPhone. 

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve: Spent the day with Dan, Ingrid and Harper – we opened Ingrid’s gifts, stayed in jammies all day and watched Home Alone.
Christmas Day: Brunch with my dad and dinner at Dan's mom's house.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Downton Abbey.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Hunger Games trilogy.

21. What was your favorite music from this year? 

Since having Ingrid I miss going to live shows. Seeing She & Him for my birthday and later in the summer, Amos Lee were both highlights this year.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Hunger Games, Netflix recommendations.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
The big 3-0! This summer I hosted friends at our new house for a little backyard party. It was pretty simple, relaxing and perfect.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'll be honest here, more stability. Schedules, addresses, jobs - just about everything changed in 2013. I'm learning that the only constant is change. Next, how to cope with this fact.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Re-purposing my closet and mixing in new finds from Target. #girlonabudget

26. What kept you sane?
Running, reading, Harper, Dan, a laughing Ingrid, family, my girlfriends and cooking.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.

Work hard, play nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...